Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Simply Eric: Going To Juvenile Detention (Part 4)

  ***The following is a fictional account of a teenager who has Bipolar Disorder and Conduct Disorder. Some content may be triggering. Reader discretion advised***




This is day five of my state in this godforsaken hospital and I must admit things are becoming more and more monotonous. I hate everything about this place. Amanda is the only redeeming value of this place, but she was discharged yesterday. She gave me her number and told me to call her when I got out. I think I will take her up on that. I know it may be wrong but I think I could get away with dating two girls at once. Like I said already, what they do not know will not hurt them. I head down to the Day Room to stand in line right before we head to the cafeteria for breakfast. There is a new guy in line. I ask him for his name and he says he is Alex. I introduce myself and then we get silent. The nurse comes and leads us down the hall to the cafeteria. Today for breakfast we are having biscuits and gravy, apple juice, and a bowl of fruit. We sit down at our tables and Alex sits down across from me. While we are busy shoveling food into our mouths, he decides to talk. 

"Why are you in here for?" He asks me and I tell him that I have anger issues. He gets silent once more and then he tells me that he tried to commit suicide. Oh great, another looney person! I wish he was not talking to me right now. We eat in silence for what seems like an eternity, but it has only been ten minutes. Then, we put up our trays and get back in line to head to the Day Room. Once in the Day Room, a nurse calls me to come into the intake room. I wonder why she is asking me to come back there. This is so strange because the nurses never call us back here. At least not since I've been here anyway. I choose to cooperate anyway since there is no use in being uncooperative. To my surprise, however, once I am back there, I see two big police officers! What the heck is going on now? Why are they here? One of the police officers approaches me, grabs me, and puts my hands behind my back. 

"Eric Thomas," the Officer begins to say, as he is putting handcuffs on me, "You are under arrest for first-degree assault and for assaulting a police officer. Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, the courts will appoint one for you. Do you understand?" I feel a rush of rage flood through my body. I cannot believe this is happening right now. I do not deserve this whatsoever. I reluctantly tell the officer that I understand and he tells me to start walking towards the door. As I am walking, everyone is staring at me, and I feel completely embarrassed. At least, Amanda won't see this. But, then again, it looks like I will not be able to call her any time soon. I must admit that once I was outside, the fresh air did feel nice, and for a second I forgot about my immediate circumstances. However, that did not last long because the Officers told me to get into the back of their cruiser, and I obeyed them. I do not want to be pepper sprayed again. 

The drive was another forty-five minutes because we were going back to Colorado Springs. I admit that I was relieved to be back in my hometown. All I wanted to do was see Kat one more time. I sit in complete silence while I think about her. Once we arrived at the Juvenile Detention Center, I noticed a sign that said Spring Creek Youth Services Center. I merely scoff at the title. We come to a complete stop and the Officers open my door and tell me to step outside. I do as I am told and we walk into the building. Inside the building, I see a round desk in the center of the room, and someone sitting there working on a computer. The Officers take my handcuffs off and tell me to sit down until a staff member comes to see me. I must have been sitting there for at least thirty minutes before a tall African-American man named Mr. Logan came and told me to step into the bathroom. I did and he followed me inside. What happened next was quite humiliating. He told me to strip naked. 

"Like all the way naked?" I ask him. I knew it was a dumb question and he responded with a nod. I couldn't believe he was making me do this, but I listened. As I stood there in my birthday suit, he told me to face the wall and put my hands on the wall. Then, he told me to squat and cough. This whole ordeal seemed rather strange and I kept thinking that this Mr. Logan guy must be getting off on seeing me naked. However, I did as I was told, and afterward, he gave me this lice shampoo and told me to take a shower. He then told me that after my shower I needed to put on these scrubs that he left on a chair in the bathroom. I was afraid that he would watch me shower, but to my relief, he stepped out of the bathroom. I took a very quick two-minute shower because the water was so cold! Then, I hopped out and quickly dried up, and put on the scrubs. Once I emerged from the bathroom, Mr. Logan told me to sit at this computer and answer some questions. He said that it was to evaluate me, whatever that means. The questions this computer was asking me started off pretty basic. It asked me where I am from, how old am I, and who are my supports. But, then the questions got a little strange. It asked me things like where I see myself in ten years, Do I plan on hurting anyone, and am I suicidal. That last question really got me because I was actually thinking of taking my life. After all, I felt like my life was already ending. I cannot see how things could get any better now that I am in jail. So, for that last question, I answered "yes". Once I finished answering the questions, Mr. Logan brought me to what he called the Orientation pod. Once I was inside this pod, I saw at least fifteen to twenty other guys in there. Mr. Logan took me to my cell and gave me two bedsheets. 

"Do I get a pillow?" I asked him and he laughed at me and said that this is not the Holiday Inn. I felt rather sheepish when he told me that. He told me that I would be on this pod for the next three days and then I'd be transferred to the Jaguar pod. I merely nod my head and he walks away. I look down at my feet and for the first time in my life, I feel my eyes water up. I cannot believe what has become of my life. I was a star athlete, an honor roll student, a model son, and a good boyfriend, and now I am a juvenile delinquent. However, I cannot show these guys any weakness. So, I wipe the tears from my eyes and head out into the pod. If any of these guys want to test me, I am willing to throw down. These guys will see that I am not someone to be messed with. I've seen those prison documentaries so I already know that in places like this, you must prove yourself to earn respect from these people. I will earn their respect. 

***Stay Tuned For Part 5***

-David Lee Chu Sarchet
Christian Mental Health Advocate 

Check out the Christ-Centered Mental Health Ministry Website




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why John MacArthur Is Wrong About Mental Illness (Part 1)

  Recently, John MacArthur, pastor of Grace Community Church in California, preached two sermons on Mental Illness. His main focus was on An...